Today, I went to my favorite store, BJ's, to pick up some supplies for a party we are having here at work this week. However, this was a new BJ's for me. I usually go to the one near home, but this one is near my office and I think the last time I was here was about 8 years ago.
I was utterly confused when I walked in. The layout was not even remotely similar to my "home" store. I couldn't find ANYTHING. And the signage was lacking. (I'm being nice here.)
After walking around aimlessly for a while I was able to locate most of the items on my list, then I headed for the checkout. While waiting in line, I observed the purchases of the woman in front of me: a case of Fun Dip, a case of Push Pops, and a case of Big League Chew.
Guess what her method of payment was?
She pulled out a EBT card.
Un-frickin' believable.
Since when can you use food stamps to pay for candy? In my opinion, this does not exactly qualify as healthy, nutritious food. And as a working taxpayer, I really don't want to see my money going to pay for crap like this! If people used food stamps to buy fruit and vegetables and other actual FOOD, I wouldn't have any issue with this! But it just annoys the hell out of me. I just can't understand why this is okay.
So I went to the internet to see what, exactly, is considered eligible under this program. If you can believe it, this is the list:
http://www.fns.usda.gov/SNAP/retailers/generic.pdf
No wonder there is so much abuse of these type of programs.
No comments:
Post a Comment